Aurukun Shire Council is always active in the maintenance and installation of community infrastructure to enhance the lives of local residents. Priority areas include:
- Community Housing
- Water and Sewerage reticulation and treatment
- Waste Collection and Landfill operations
- Roads maintenance and construction
- Develop appropriate subdivisions
- Marine Access
- Airport Maintenance and Operations
- Cemetery maintenance.
Aurukun Shire Council is active in promoting the economic development of the community and encourages new businesses to set up in Aurukun especially where they may increase job opportunities. Local employment growth is a key strategy for Council.
Aurukun Shire Council also seeks cooperative arrangements with outside organisations and businesses to conduct commercial activities that further the economic development of Aurukun.
Council is guided by our strategy as detailed in our Operational Plan.
Potential business activities include:
- Tourism Development in conjunction with Traditional Owners (Aurukun has some of the largest wetlands in Australia)
- Supply of fresh food to local businesses e.g. seafood, vegetables
- Sale of Aurukun art through our Wik and Kugu Arts Centre
- Mechanical repairs
- Cleaning services
- Landscaping services
- Other suitable commercial activities that increase local employment
A number of critical areas are being progressed by Aurukun Shire Council. These include:
- Significant upgrade of the Aurukun Airport terminal building
- Significant upgrade of the Aurukun Solid Waste Facility
- Refurbishment of Council’s Water and Waste Water Infrastructure
- May Min (Good Food) restaurant is located at Wuungkam Lodge, with a seating capacity of 60 diners.
- Leasing of quality commercial retail/office space in Council’s Sam Kerindun Aurukun Business Precinct.
Tourism And Updates
Aurukun Shire Council supports the development of mining around Aurukun since this will increase the overall economic wealth of the community and its residents. It is expected that significant increased local employment opportunities will result.
The Aurukun Tourism Action Group is continuing to undertake actions within the Aurukun Shire Council Tourism Strategy.
For further information, contact the Director of Community Services on 4060 6817 or email DIRCOM@Aurukun.qld.gov.au.